A warm, rich, savory dip that’s perfect for Fall. Serve with our Tortilla Chips for a taste treat.
- 1 sugar or pie pumpkin, 6-8″ diameter, 2-3 pounds
- 8 oz dried chorizo sausage (such as Boars Head dry cured)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
- 1 4-oz. can chopped green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or chipotle pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella or Oaxaca cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Wise Tortilla Chips for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice off the top of the pumpkin and discard. Scoop out seeds and pulp, save seeds for roasting later, if desired.
- Put the dried chorizo in a medium pot over medium high heat and cook until the fat begins to render. Add the jalapeno, green chiles, cumin and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the jalapeno softens. Stir in the flour and cook until the flour is slightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the cheeses. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheese is fully melted and the mixture is creamy.
- Put the pumpkin in a small baking dish. Pour cheese mixture into pumpkin. Add 1″ of hot water to the baking dish. Cover loosely with foil and bake until the pumpkin is tender, about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until cheese is golden, approximately 20 minutes more.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes. Serve with Wise Tortilla Chips